Hooray! You finally decided to hire an assistant to help you with your busy practice. You’re anticipating a new life balance by shifting responsibility of busy work over to your new team member. Uh oh, you discover you’re not saving any time at all. In fact, your days have become longer and more complex trying to train AND take care of your business. Your assistant is sitting around most days doing nothing, finally gets frustrated and quits. What went wrong?
I’ve interviewed and trained numerous assistants and have discovered the Secret Sauce of hiring and training to get them up and running as soon as possible. Here’s your list:
1. Hire someone with real estate experience! If you truly need an assistant, then you are too busy to train someone from the ground up! Real estate is extremely complex. The more the new assistant knows about the basics of our industry, the faster they’ll be able to help you.
2. Create a list of duties you want the assistant to perform. Be specific! Your assistant will appreciate this. Keep the list small and easy to master to start. My list is around 20 items and very specific such as:
- Input listings into MLS and maintain current information
- Deliver brochures to properties and pick up agent cards
- Attend home and termite inspections
Written step-by-step instructions is extremely helpful to the assistant as well.
3. Once you’ve established assistant duties, take the time to train on each topic until you deem proficiency. I typically set aside at least 4 hours to train 3 days a week so there is time for the assistant to get a clear understanding of the activity and I can still get my work done. Don’t give them too much information at once! We want to build proficiency, since this helps the assistant to feel better about their competency.
4. Once the assistant is fully trained on a task, LET THEM PERFORM SOLO.
5. If you have a Transaction Coordinator, be sure to introduce your assistant and ensure there are clear roles each will perform so there’s no overlap or confusion. For example:
- Assistant will email completed contracts the TC
- Assistant will email MLS sheets to the TC
We love working with assistants and helping create time savings systems so they can perform more tasks for you!
Call Diana today to find out how our easy-to-implement Transaction Coordination services will enhance your Top Producing Team.